Talor Gooch qualifies for US Public Links in a busy golf day
Some unfortunate scheduling left local high school golfers with a choice to make on Tuesday.
Some went to the “Big I” qualifier at Fairfax. Others picked the USGA Junior Amateur qualifier at Jimmie Austin OU Golf Club. And some, like Carl Albert’s Talor Gooch, chose to participate in the US Public Links qualifier at Lincoln Park.
Not sure why all those organizations would hold such important events on the same day, but they did, which makes it rough on the kids who would like to have the chance to qualify for multiple national events.
Gooch and UCO golfer Colby Shrum each qualified for the US Public Links, which will be held in Greensboro, NC, July 12-17. Shrum shot 68-70 and Gooch roared back after a rough start to qualifiy with a 74-65.
In the Big I qualifier, Edmond brothers Alec and Nick Heinen each finished in the top three to qualify for the national tournament July 25-30 in Chesterfield, N.J. Alec Heinen, a key player in Edmond North’s state championship, won the qualifier with a 142 (70-72). Okmulgee’s Jackson Hess was second at 146 (72-74) and Nick Heinen was third at 150 (77-73).
In the girls Big I qualifying, Alexis Sadeghy of Edmond won with a 146 (71-75) and Clinton’s Taylor Neidy was second at 149 (76-73) as the only qualifiers. Just missing out were McGuinness’ Caitlin Farris at 151 and Kingfisher’s Bethany Darrough at 153.
No Okies went through in the USGA Junior Amateur qualifier, though Edmond Memorial’s Taylor Moore, the reigning Class 6A champ, was third to earn an alternate spot. The US Junior Am is July 19-24 at Egypt Valley in Ada, Mich.
– Scott Wright, firstname.lastname@example.org
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 11436Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 11312Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 5665Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 5178Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4351Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4349OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 4135How to help tornado victims
- 3981Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 3781Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 3432Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients