Plenty of stars in Mustang for 7-on-7
I cruised out to Mustang High for their Tuesday night 7-on-7 competition, which had some talented players with Mustang, Bethany, Bridge Creek, El Reno and Santa Fe South participating.
The Mustang 7-on-7 is a very laid-back event, not real competitive. More like a practice than a game, nobody keeping score or wondering who won. Just a bunch of teams working on their fundamentals of pass offense and defense.
I came away from the event thinking I could put together a pretty good basketball team out there. You had some great big men, with Bridge Creek’s 6-foot-7 Ryan Spangler and Bethany’s Garrett McGrady, who must be close to 6-8. A speedy point guard in David Glidden of Mustang. I’m pretty sure I saw DeVante Moore of El Reno was out there, so he’d be a my starting two-guard. Just need another shooter/slasher on the wing and we’d be pretty solid.
Anyway, back to football… Here are a few bullet points that caught my eye during play:
- Glidden is back in action after a lingering shoulder injury kept him out of some team work in May and early June. He looked like his normal self and also said he took part in some team camp activities over the weekend which were more physically demanding than 7-on-7 and the shoulder held up fine.
- McGrady is a really good athlete at TE/DE for the Bronchos, and he just keeps growing. Probably close to four inches in the last year. He and Spangler were significantly taller than just about everyone else out there, and I think McGrady had the slight edge on the Bridge Creek QB. McGrady moves well and has decent hands. He’s likely to be a security blanket for new QB Ryan Claborn. The two are heading into their junior years and have been playing together for a few years now.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 72395Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 14464Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 8451Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7239How to help tornado victims
- 6453Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6316Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
- 6292Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6021Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 5304Details emerge about memorial service for Oklahoma tornado victims
- 5155Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients