Verdigris: Two girls soccer championships forfeited...
By Robert Przybylo
The OSSAA has ruled the Verdigris girls soccer team must forfeit its back-to-back state championships because a pair of players have been deemed ineligible because of dual residency.
Because of the ruling by the Oklahoma Secondary School Activities Association, all games in which the sisters played had to be forfeited, including playoff games that came out to be 33 total games.
The sisters and their family owned a home and resided within the school district during both seasons, Verdigris school officials said in a press release. While awaiting job-related transfers, the parents continued to work and reside part time in the Houston area, which by OSSAA rule constitutes a dual residence.
“We recently learned of it and asked Verdigris to investigate it,” OSSAA executive secretary Ed Sheakley said. “I would like to applaud the way the Verdigris administration handled things. They were very cooperative.”
Verdigris defeated Sequoyah-Claremore for this year’s title and beat Metro Christian for the 2009 title.
Verdigris superintendent Mike Payne said the situation and ruling was “unfortunate and devastating for our team, school and community.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17023OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 16448Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 12708Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 12580Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 9471Was Special Treatment Given in Oklahoma Vice Mayor DUI Traffic Stop?
- 7819Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7691Two teacher programs at Oklahoma universities called ineffective
- 7125Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6963Train engineer's vision problems led to deadly Oklahoma wreck, NTSB rules
- 6749Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients