Football: Weatherford's Jake Barrios, Clinton's Delans Griffin ignite win...
By Robert Przybylo
That was the first all-state football game I’ve covered and gotta say it was a lot of fun. Maybe it’s because I didn’t spend the entire night wondering if I had the stats right, but I love getting a chance to watch the game from the sidelines.
Behind Weatherford’s Jake Barrios and a blocked PAT by Carl Albert’s Markell Walker and Watonga’s Trevon Hartfield, the West pulled out a 21-20 victory Friday at Jenks HS.
By the way, that was the first time I’ve been to Jenks. What a strange sight. It seems like a nice little town, and then bam, you’re hit in the head with this HUGE (and beautiful) stadium and athletic facilities.
Wonder how the parking is for regular Jenks games. Sure seemed like a mess Friday, but that’s just my first impression.
Back to the game, rivals became friends again this time with Weatherford’s Jake Barrios and Clinton’s Delans Griffin.
If I was smarter, I would have had the video rolling for the final play of the first half. Alas, I did not.
Barrios rolled out toward the sideline around the 50 yard line. He didn’t have enough strength for it to reach the end zone, but two East defenders deflected the ball right into Griffin’s hands. He went the final 10 yards for an improbable score to make it 14-14 at halftime.
Eh, better to be lucky than good, I guess.
Barrios will move on to play baseball in college, but I really enjoyed watching him play football. Barrios and Kale Sawatzky helped bring the Eagles back to prominence, and those boys brought it every night.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21543Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10852Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 8707Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 8666Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8648Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 7837Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7718Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7246UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6857Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5852Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients