Two-a-days: PC North looking for another playoff run
Putnam City North is an interesting team, because their returning starters are fairly scattered out, but all of them are major contributors. Bob Wilson has shown that he can take a solid core of returners and build a playoff-caliber team, so there’s no reason to expect much less from this squad.
There aren’t a lot of returning starters on the Putnam City North defense, but those who are back are a good group to build around.
Senior Brad Ross anchors the defensive line at tackle, with twin brother Nate Ross behind him at linebacker. Abe Almatasem returns at defensive end to give the Panthers a strong, athletic defensive front.
Of course, the offense has some key playmakers returning with running backs Sam Wolfe and Dre Holman, quarterback Jace James and receiver Covin Conrady. The injury bug has nagged the Panthers early in camp, but it doesn’t appear to be too serious.
Guys like Billy Prater and Jamal Page will get the opportunity to contribute as well at offensive skill positions as well. With the loss of three starting linemen, Daniel Burton will flip from right tackle to the left side and Andy Bates returns at center.
Most importantly, everyone seems more comfortable in the offense, hoping to pick up the pace in the no-huddle system. That said, players I spoke to on Thursday commented on the need to pull together as a team better on offense. One of my regular questions for players this time of year is about the area of the team they think needs to improve before the first game, and Burton and Brad Ross gave nearly identical answers.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 80469Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 30097Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 29530Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 25550Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7945Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
- 7267Oklahoma City Thunder: What could Serge Ibaka learn from Hakeem Olajuwon?
- 7260Severe storms possible in Oklahoma again Monday
- 7170Oklahoma tornadoes: Several homes damaged by tornado, but no injuries in Edmond
- 6866Oklahoma storms: 2 Shawnee men victims of deadly tornado
- 6473Oklahoma football: Jay Norvell working on luring a tall group of wide receivers to Norman
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients