Two-a-days: Seniors, sophomores leading the way at Star Spencer
Between the midnight practice on Tuesday and the District 3A-4 preview coming Saturday, we’ve got the Star Spencer Bobcats covered pretty well this week, but here are a few highlights from my trip to their practice on Thursday.
- The offensive line will be a big key to the Bobcats’ success this season as they try to replace all five starters from last year’s 4A championship team. But coach Terrell Love is pleased with the progress of that group. There’s not a lot of depth there, but Love has some big, strong kids to work with.
- Some of the seniors, like Stevo Henderson, Kenneth Turner and Carlos Hutson are pushing the younger players to make sure there’s not the major drop-off some people might expect from a team that lost three-quarters of its starting lineup to graduation.
- There are also some young guys stepping into a leadership role, like linebacker/running back Kenneth Davis, who contributed to last year’s team as a freshman. And another sophomore, Darion Bogus, has pulled to the front for the quarterback job. He’s only 5-foot-7 and can’t weigh more than 150 pounds — if that — but he knows he needs to be a leader and be in control of the offense.
“I’m young, and the seniors told me I’ve got to step it up a lot and be a leader now,” Bogus said. “It’s real hard. I didn’t really think I could be the starter, but it happened. I’m ready to start improving on our passing game. Last year, we didn’t do too much passing, because we were such a good running team, but I’m ready to step that up.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 39385Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 13186Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 12510New OSU CB Tyler Patmon, ex-OU QB Drew Allen among those to benefit from transfer rule
- 11930Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 10305UPDATE: Woman's body found in northwest Oklahoma City, her son arrested
- 7560Oklahoma City Thunder: Hard to tell if Shabazz Muhammad is on OKC's radar
- 7262Oklahoma baseball: Sunny Golloway wasn't Sooners' most beloved coach, but he got results
- 7231Oklahoma State football: Quarterback Wes Lunt transferring to Illinois
- 6637Top 5 regrets of the dying
- 5911Russell Westbrook is off crutches and says he's back
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients