Scrimmage report: PC West, Deer Creek, Capitol Hill...
By Robert Przybylo
I’m beat right now. Never thought this day would be that long. Long phone call conversations mixed in with trips to Oklahoma Christian Academy and Christian Heritage Academy and a long scrimmage between Deer Creek, Putnam West and Capitol Hill.
So no witty comments tonight, but here are some news and notes from the scrimmage:
A lot of reps in at PC West
It wasn’t scheduled to be that long, but the coaches didn’t see any reason to stop at three-team scrimmage Thursday night at Putnam City West featuring the Patriots, Deer Creek and Capitol Hill.
The three varsity squads went for more than two-and-a-half hours.
“We would get together after every set and see how things were going, and all of us wanted to keep playing,” Deer Creek coach Grant Gower said. “We wanted to get in as many reps as possible.”
The format wasn’t the usual as every play started from midfield no matter what happened. One defense stayed on the field the entire time while the two offenses alternated running 20 plays apiece before all teams would rotate to the next spot.
Smith impresses for Patriots
PC West coach John Jensen said he was pleased with his team’s effort, and one player really stood out: Johnny Smith.
The running back was one of the more impressive players on the field and scored the scrimmage’s first touchdown on a 50-yard run against the Redskins.
“He gives us a lot of hope,” senior quarterback Ray Young said. “He’s big and hits hard on defense. He’s real fast and has a lot of moves.”
Antlers loaded with weapons
There were times last year when Gower had more stars on the bench because of injuries than he did in the game.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 18732Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 15952Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 10745How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 2753Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 2638Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 2099Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 1489Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 1234Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients