Scrimmage report: John Marshall vs. Bridge Creek
As for the football, both teams looked better than I expected. I thought John Marshall would be in for some growing pains with 12 new starters in the lineup. Sure, they had their moments when they looked a little lost, and the coaches were working hard after every play teaching better technique, better positioning, better reading of the situations. But overall, the Bears were farther along than I thought they’d be.
And I thought Bridge Creek’s offensive timing would be a little off, because QB Ryan Spangler had so much going on in the summer between football and basketball camps, AAU tournaments and recruiting. But from the outsider view, he looked sharp. He was intercepted by Alandis Bell and Emmanuel Denson on two throws that were more bad decisions than bad execution.
But Spangler and WR Caden Locke kept hooking up all night, including the three big scoring plays. Spangler was also moving outside the pocket well. RB Blake Henderson is a hard runner who produced a few big gains, but overall, I think John Marshall should be pleased with its run containment.
Of course, that’s going to be the strength of the Bears defeense, with guys like Dejon Brison and Denzelle Johnson in the front seven. Johnson is a big, strong athlete who will help out the offense in some running and receiving situations as well.
Here’s the three-piece roundup from Friday’s paper:
Big pass plays for Bears, Bobcats
All the four touchdowns scored by the first-team offenses in Thursday’s Bridge Creek-John Marshall scrimmage covered at least 30 yards, topped by a 65-yard hook-up between Bridge Creek quarterback Ryan Spangler and receiver Caden Locke.
Spangler and Locke connected for three TD passes for the Bobcats and John Marshall answered with one, but the Bears came away pleased with the performance in the first scrimmage of the season at Taft Stadium.
“I thought we competed well,” coach Bruce Troxell said.
A four-receiver spread offense like Bridge Creek runs requires some game-planning, but no one’s doing that right now.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 99664Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16608OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13275Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8705Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8419Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8235How to help tornado victims
- 7896Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6964Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 6671Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6451Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients