Former Yukon LHP Chad James faces Ryan Howard
BY RYAN ABER
Just more than a year ago, Yukon’s Chad James was picked in the first round by the Florida Marlins.
Friday night, playing for Class A Greensboro, James got a taste of the big leagues.
James faced Lakewood, with a rehabbing Ryan Howard, on the road and pitched his best game in a month.
“It was awesome,” James said. “That’s a once in a lifetime opportunity, especially in Low-A ball.
“It definitely got my adrenaline pumping for sure.”
The 19-year-old struck out three and allowed just one hit–a sixth-inning RBI double by Howard–in six innings to pick up his first win since July 1. James allowed one run in the Grasshoppers 4-1 win in front of more than 10,000 fans in Lakewood.
“I guess if you’re going to give up a no hitter it might as well be to a hitter like that,” James said. “I was trying to go inside and just left the ball out over the middle and he drove it to the gap.”
James had a no-hitter going into the inning before Howard’s hit. The RBI gave Howard the BlueClaw’s career record with 92.
Before the game, Lakewood retired Howard’s number.
James walked Howard in the first, then got the Phillies first baseman to ground out to second to lead off the fourth.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 88863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16945OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12611Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12094Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 9737Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 9076Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 8890Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8829How to help tornado victims
- 8583Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 7041Excessive speed, alcohol, operator inattention contributed to fatal boat crash, report states
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients