Main Event leftovers: Jim Dixon and Mike Snyder
I had a blast speaking with Sulphur coach Jim Dixon and Seminole coach Mike Snyder for Monday’s Main Event on coaches who have become legends at their schools.
Don’t believe that Snyder is a Seminole landmark? The football stadium is on Mike Snyder Drive.
Anyway, here’s a little more of what those two guys had to say in talking about the last three-plus decades at their respective schools. There just wasn’t enough space in Monday’s paper for all the good stuff.
Mike Snyder, Seminole
Years as head coach: 31 (39th year on Seminole staff)
Career record: 278-98
Championships: 1 (1996)
* Do you have a favorite coaching moment?
“In 1982, we finished 13-1 and that was my first big year. That sticks out with that group of kids, and of course, the three years my son played for me, 1988-90. The state championship in ’96. It’s kind of hard to narrow that down, because we’ve been so fortunate to have the success we’ve had.”
* What was the toughest loss of your career?
“The state championship loss to Tuttle in 2001, that was a tough loss. We had put ourselves in position to win it and we made some mental mistakes that cost us a chance to win a championship. We’ve got more silver balls (five) than we do gold balls (one). Those stick out quite a bit.”
* What has been the biggest adjustment you’ve had to make in your career?
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17205Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9411Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9383Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6982Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6824Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 6420Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6294Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6021UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
- 6010Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5537Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients