Depth at RB for US Grant
I got to spend some time watching US Grant practice on Tuesday afternoon, and it’s easy to see potential in the new offense first-year head coach Matt Miller and assistant Charles Welde are installing.
It’s a lot of shotgun with three-wide and tight end/H-back sets to open the field for what could be a dangerous run game. Quarterback Ryan Ward isn’t the biggest guy around, but he manages the offense well, makes good throws, and though he didn’t run much in practice, he looks like he’s quick enough to take off and pick up some yardage.
The Generals have three running talented backs that will get their chances either carrying the ball or catching it out of the backfield, with GaVonte Bonds, Leandre Bailey and Derrick Young.
And though the offense will throw the ball more than last year, the running backs know they’re vital to the system.
“We’ve got a lot of talent at running back,” Bailey said. “I like the offense. It’ s good, but it’s hard to learn all the different plays. It’s a lot different than last year.
“I feel good about this team. We’re gonna do some damage”
Alex Levescy, Christian Nicholson and Kyle McClanahan anchor an offensive line that might not be big by Jenks and Union standards, but has some good size.
Levescy, a 6-foot-4, 260-pound left tackle, is getting some D-II and lower D-I recruiting attention. And Nicholson, a 6-foot-2, 245-pounder who is only a junior, has shown up on a few teams’ radars as well, especially on the defensive side of the ball, where he had eight sacks last year.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 20008Oklahoma tornadoes: Six May 20 tornado rumors corrected
- 14873Moore milestones: Missing moms make graduation day bittersweet
- 11274Live reporting: President Obama leaves Oklahoma after touring tornado damage in Moore
- 11227Oklahoma tornadoes: Two arms that didn't know they were broken helped rescue children at Briarwood Elementary
- 7454Three Oklahoma men die in wrecks on state roads
- 6157President Barack Obama to tour tornado damage in Oklahoma
- 6108Oklahoma tornadoes: 'Moore is going to come back stronger,' Obama says during visit
- 4839Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4619How to help tornado victims
- 4589Body of drowned teenager recovered Sunday morning
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients