Game preview: PC West at Choctaw
Putnam City West at Choctaw
When: 7:30 p.m. Friday
Where: Jensen Field, Choctaw
Why PC West could win: Expectations and attitudes are better at PC West than any of John Jensen’s three previous seasons. This senior class doesn’t want to go out winless, and coming off a preseason in which the Patriots had nearly double the participation they had two Augusts ago, the excitement is there. It’s all about putting it together on the field now. And from an offensive perspective, the Pats have the tools to put up some points.
Why Choctaw could win: While PC West’s biggest key is the intangible of motivation, Choctaw’s will be more concrete. The Yellowjackets will have a size and depth advantage in the trenches, led by Tulsa commit Hunter Davis at defensive end. He’ll cause problems for the PC West O-line both with his size and athleticism. He’s disruptive both in pass and run coverage.
Key matchup: Choctaw ground game vs. PC West defensive front. Choctaw runs a balanced offense, but the bread is buttered with the run. Aside from a couple good backs, QB Tanner Hessman is a talented athlete who isn’t afraid to lower his shoulder and get the tough yards. PC West is breaking in a new 4-3 defense with virtually all new linebackers and a few new linemen, so that unit will have to be on top of its game to keep the Choctaw rushers contained.
The pick: Choctaw 30, PC West 27. I think PC West will break the losing streak this year, and I wouldn’t be surprised if I’m proven wrong on this pick. But I also think Choctaw will be better than people expect. It might not show a lot in the win column, because they’re in 6A’s toughest district, but they’ll cause problems for teams down the road.
– Scott Wright, firstname.lastname@example.org
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 35659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 30844Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 14359Tornado levels homes in trailer park
- 7518Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6442OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3625College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3531Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3222Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
- 3222OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 3191Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients