Game preview: US Grant at Southeast
US Grant at Southeast
When: 7:30 p.m. Friday
Where: CB Speegle Stadium
Why US Grant could win: There’s a lot of excitement around the Generals with their new, young, energetic head coach, Matt Miller, and there’s some blossoming talent on the team. If Miller can put the pieces together on defense to give the new offense time to find its rhythm, this team has a chance to win a few.
Why Southeast could win: Since the spring, coach Michael Branch has been focused on building back Spartan football on fundamentals, and it seemed to show through last week with their performance at the All-City Preview, especially on defense. The offense has a good run-pass balance and quarterback Jay Gogue is a playmaker.
Quote: “We’ve just got to get a little more consistent. But I think we’re improving. We’re tackling a whole lot better than we did last year, so I’m happy about that.” – Branch
Key matchup: Grant passing game vs. Southeast secondary. The Generals are transitioning to more of a passing offense, but running the ball still looks to be the team’s strength. So if they can find some success throwing the ball, it could open up the run game even more. But throwing won’t be easy, especially with safeties Gogue and Nelson Williams — two of Southeast’s top defenders — patrolling the back end.
The pick: Southeast 27, Grant 21. I think Grant will win some games this year, but I also have seen a lot of improvement from Southeast over last year’s team. If the Spartans weren’t stuck in perhaps the state’s toughest district, they’d be a playoff contender. But getting to the top four in 5A-1 is a steep hill to climb.
– Scott Wright, firstname.lastname@example.org
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients