Moore: Heart not a question for Lions...
By Justin Hite
Moore impressive in Week 1
There’s plenty to be impressed by on a football field. Big plays, big hits and high-scoring games usually top the list. But on Friday night at the Moore War, I was most impressed by how the Lions responded when scored on.
From the looks of things, the Lions were run up and down the field through the first three quarters. It kept getting worse. Westmoore running back Cody Feuerborn’s three-yard runs in the first half were turning in to 8- and 9-yard runs in the third quarter.
To make matters worse, on Moore’s first trip into the red zone since the first quarter they turned the ball over on downs. The Jaguars came back and scored again and took a 21-0 lead.
Then something happened that I didn’t expect: Moore scored. Then they stopped Feuerborn on the one-yard line. Then Moore scored again.
“That’s how big it is,” Moore coach Scott Myers said after the game. “Just playing for character or playing for pride to keep them out. Giving yourself a chance to win a game. … I was pleased with the effort.”
Coach, if you were pleased, I was shocked because Moore recovered the onside kick and had a shot at the end zone in the final seconds. Dominated for 40 minutes of a 48-minute game, and the Lions had the resolve to come back.
Chalk it up to a missing killer instinct from Westmoore, but I’m giving it to Moore. The Lions were efficient with the ball and proved, at least to me, that they’ll have more chances to pick up a win this season. If they can learn from Friday night’s experience, I wouldn’t bet against them winning at least one game this year.
Lions…you have my respect.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 39102Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15291Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9778Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 9437Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 9040Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 7843Blake Shelton's "Healing the Heartland" televised tornado benefit set for Wednesday at Chesapeake Energy Arena
- 7624Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 7196Carrie Underwood donates $1 million to Red Cross for disaster relief in wake of deadly Oklahoma tornadoes
- 6116Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 6096Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients