Westmoore: Physical when it needed to be...
By Justin Hite
Jaguars get extra physical when it counts
Westmoore unveiled a special formation for the red zone on Friday against Moore. After running from a shotgun spread for the first 80 yards of the field, the Jaguars went big when they got inside the 20-yard line.
It looked a little like the Florida spread offense with two up backs in front of senior running back Cody Feuerborn. Behind a pair of blocking backs and left tackle Tyler Newton, Feuerborn scored on three of four trips into the red zone.
“I love it. It’s amazing,” he said. “Just having all those guys up front blocking for you makes a huge hole.”
Who wouldn’t love a formation like that?
The formation should get even more effective. On Friday, the Jaguars ran only one play out of the formation — an off tackle run behind Newton. Coach Billy Langford installed the formation because he wants the Jaguars to be able to force the run when it’s needed.
“I want us to be physical,” Langford said. “I don’t want us to have to be in shotgun and not have any blocking backs. I want us to be physical and be able to pound the ball when we need to. That’s that and we are going to have to add some wrinkles obviously. … We’ll add some wrinkles and we had some wrinkles (Friday), we just didn’t get to them. That’ll be a good set for us.”
It was effective on Friday, but could do plenty more with a running quarterback like Trevor Thompson behind center.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14589OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 8609Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6402Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 6393Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6018Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5816Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 4098As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3659Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage after tall metal utility polls fall in northwest Oklahoma City
- 3653Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3418Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients