Edlam: Volleyball edition...
By Robert Przybylo
Mark another one off the list. Now the only OSSAA-sanctioned sport I haven’t seen live is cross country. Never been at a CC meet.
Had never been to a HS volleyball event until Tuesday night. Loved it, knew I would. Pretty big fan of volleyball, just never get a chance to see it during the high school season.
It was the Edmond Triangular at Edmond Santa Fe, featuring No. 1 Memorial, No. 2 Santa Fe and No. 6 North. Really good stuff.
Memorial won in three games against Santa Fe and four against the Huskies to rule the city.
Memorial def. Santa Fe 25-7, 25-16 and 25-21.
Memorial def. North 25-18, 23-25, 25-10 and 25-20.
Had to start hitting the football phone call circuit so didn’t stay for Santa Fe and North, sorry. UPDATE: Santa Fe def. North in three games.
Thoughts and observations
- Let me come clean and say I don’t know all the ins and outs of the game. I can pay attention and not feel lost. I can appreciate the skill, but the intricacies are prob lost by me.
- With that said, Micha Hancock…wow. She was the biggest reason I wanted to watch the action Tuesday, and she certainly did not disappoint. In seven games, she wasn’t on the bench for one point. I don’t care who you are, gots to admire that.
- I’ve even written that she’s a lefty before, but it still threw me off to see her spike, serve left-handed. And man can she do both of those things. Her kills were things of beauty, but I actually was more impressed with her touch on her sets, routinely put her teammates in good position.
- And last Hancock point, watching her set up Mattie Burleson is fun to watch as long as you’re not the opponent. Might as well just mark the point down when those two hook up.
- Speaking of Burleson, she owns the net. She can block just about anything that comes her way. I personally like the AVP on NBC term of ‘roofed ‘em’ than block, but hey, whatever.
- Memorial is a well-oiled machine. Fun to watch a team play the game the way it’s supposed to be played. Amanda Ayers never saw a ball she didn’t think she could dive at (that’s how I play the game when I do play). And Skylar Conner and Caitlin Scott delivered some nasty blows, too.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 81135Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 32459Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
- 5362Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 3318Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients