FMQ: Eagles soar - Del City 41, Norman North 14...
By Robert Przybylo
There are picks when you’re just off. And then there’s whatever you would call my pick of Norman North beating Del City on Thursday night.
Shouldn’t that prediction count for two losses? Two minutes into the game, I realized I had made the wrong pick. The Eagles dominated this game for almost the complete 48 minutes.
Del City 41, Norman North 14
Turnovers plagued the Eagles in the Week 1 loss to Midwest City. Against the Timberwolves that wasn’t a concern all night.
Quarterback Chazten Gonzales threw for more than 400 yards and five touchdowns. But more importantly for Del City, he found this year’s version of Donavan Dan and Chris McAlister. Greg Johnson and Marquis Walters showed up to play and maybe MWC was lucky to meet this team in the first week.
Play of the night was Johnson’s 64-yard screen pass for a touchdown in the first quarter. Seriously, if you saw it, you won’t forget it anytime soon. He showed his speed, his elusiveness, his strength, it was all on display in that one single play.
If you have video of that, please upload it and let me know. I was like ‘wow, not bad. That’s a 20-yard screen pass. He won’t go down. Oh what the…he’s still on his feet. He’s going to score, seriously, he will score. Wow, unbelievable.’
Walters and Johnson each had two touchdowns and Walters had more than 100 yards receiving for the second straight game this season.
Coach Nick Warehime’s plan was to get Johnson more involved. He said Johnson played way too much on defense against the Bombers and knew he needed to get No. 5 the ball more.
Gonzales got the ball rolling with his legs at first. He was doing pretty much whatever he wanted and then got it going through the air. Twelve completions for more than 400 yards and more than 525 total yards of offense.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 13567Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 12400Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 6766Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients