SMQ: Late heroics for Irish - McGuinness 14, Kelley 7...
By Robert Przybylo
Is it possible that an incredible 20 seconds can make you forget about the other 47:40 of a football game? If you were at the Battle of the Bishops between McGuinness and Kelley, then yes.
I don’t want to say it wasn’t hard-fought and physical. Because it was and both teams played hard. But it was just sloppy, and even Irish coach Kenny Young admitted that.
However, when Camden Tharp found Nick Callaway for a 15-yard touchdown with 17 seconds left, none of that mattered.
Irish 14, Kelley 7
Don’t think if I’ve ever seen such a contrast between an offense and defense like there is right now with Bishop Kelley. The Comets have an incredible defense. But flip sides, and their offense has a ways to go, especially in the passing game.
The wind played a big role in this one, especially on punts. The Irish had several chances early in this game to take control but kept stubbing their toe.
Kelley took a 7-0 lead into halftime, but you could feel McGuinness was going to break through. And LaRone Richardson did in the second half with a couple of big runs, including a 29-yard touchdown.
When you beat a rival, nobody cares about the score. And if you were down on the field after, seriously, nobody cared that it was 14-7. Only cared that it was a win.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 24190Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13456Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 11113Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 10453UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7895Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6976Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 6568Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 6301Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 6165Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
- 4992Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients