Southmoore: Temporarily OK without Kendal Thompson...
By Justin Hite
Sure, call me bonkers, but there are plenty of reasons to think Kendal Thompson’s injury and absence won’t hurt the Southmoore SaberCats. Yeah, I get it. He’s a D-I commit to OU and an incredible talent. By no way am I making any sort of claim that Southmoore can make a run in the Class 6A playoffs without him. But there is absolutely no reason to rush him back. Here are five good reasons why:
Tre Edwards is a gamer…. Edwards first completed pass was a touchdown against Westmoore. Oddly enough it was to Kendal Thompson. But then things got bad. Edwards threw six straight incompletions. And they were bad incompletions as he missed a few open receivers and struggled. But then the sophomore did something that nobody outside of Southmoore’s sideline expected. Edwards clicked when he needed to and complete 5 of 6 passes to close the game including his final four as he marched Southmoore back. When the SaberCats needed him, Edwards was clutch.
Legitimate passing options have emerged… Before the season, there were questions about how well a young group of receivers would develop. Two weeks in and there are some serious passing threats running down the field in Southmoore uniforms. The best is probably Jackson Stallings. There’s nothing better for a young quarterback than a strong tight end — yes, even at the high school level. Stallings, also just a sophomore, is 6-foot-1 and a reliable pass catcher. The SaberCats also have 6-foot sophomore Nick Ward, who caught four passes Friday, and senior Caleb Willis. Six different SaberCats caught a pass against Westmoore, so there’s a lot of depth there as well.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10801Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 10490Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 10422Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 9824Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 6498Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 4191Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4093Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
- 3771OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
- 3668Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 3566How to help tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients