What we learned in Tulsa: Week 2...
The Tulsa World’s Matt Baker is back with his take on what happened in the Tulsa area in Week 2:
No enormous surprises last week in wins and losses, but how a few teams picked up wins shocked me and changed the way I viewed a few times:
1. Jenks is the top team in the state: It shouldn’t be a huge shock – I picked Jenks to knock off Union, and so did most of my colleagues. But I didn’t expect the Trojans to thump the two-time defending state champs, 33-7. Jenks dominated every aspect of the game, from special teams (fumble recovery on a punt) to offense (a huge night from emerging receiver Brandon Kitchens) to defense (great play from two junior defensive tackles. Jenks has a great secondary tailback in Alex Ross and a third option in Tray’vonne Barré. If it can stay healthy, the Trojans are clearly the team to beat.
2. The second best team in 6A is…Broken Arrow? I’m not sure the last time that was the case, but it is now. The Tigers found a legitimate rushing game with Richie Fruechting, who had 5 TDs and 271 yards, despite playing with a banged-up shoulder. And that was against Booker T. Washington, my pick to win state in 5A. BA’s offensive line and defense are as good as it gets. So is the quarterback, Archie Bradley. If there’s a year where the state’s largest school can finally break through and capture a gold ball, it seems like it could be in 2010.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15155OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 10481Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 7111Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6362Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 6344Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5951Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4162As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 4151Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3884Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 3305Record lottery prize is a powerful draw for Oklahomans
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients