Norman-Southmoore: Donovan Roberts vs. Andrew Long...
By Justin Hite
In the not too distant past, Donovan Roberts and Andrew Long raced onto the field and embraced after not seeing each other for a while.
At least that’s the way Andrew’s dad tells the story of a T-Ball game when play stopped so the two could reunite.
Roberts and Long have been friends since Andrew was in Donovan’s mother’s first-grade class at Earlywine Elementary — maybe even earlier — but Friday night, they’ll face off again. The two started competing in little league nearly 13 years ago, but there won’t be any special embrace when Southmoore and Norman meet in a Class 6A-3 clash — despite facing each other for the first time in high school.
All that love will be saved for later.
“The love is still there, but once that whistle is blown, it’s game time,” Roberts said. “Put all the emotions aside. Both of us just want that win for the team, nothing else matters. After the game all that is important, but while the game is playing nothing else is.”
What makes the friendship so unique is how well each of the running backs is doing. Leading Norman’s rushing attack, Roberts is atop Class 6A in carries (143) and touchdowns (15). Long on the other hand, leads the class in yards (1,040) and per carry average (8.5).
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 47098Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 30921Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10724Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients