Class 4A state volleyball tournament, Day 1
9:25 p.m.: Last update of the night… Christian Heritage wins 3-1 over Cascia Hall, advancing to the semifinals against Lincoln Christian at 1:45 p.m. Should be a wild Saturday in Chickasha.
7:06: Boneman here. Arrived at Heritage Hall for football between Chargers and Newcastle to learn that the Heritage Hall volleyball team lost to Lincoln Christian in five games. Is it the start of a long night for Charger athletics?
5:51 p.m.: LC takes the third game to pull within 2-1. Fourth game coming up.
5:38 p.m.: Chargers up 2-0, but the third game is much tighter so far. HH leading 15-12.
5:15 p.m.: Heritage Hall is out to a commanding lead against Lincoln Christian. After winning the first game 25-12, the Chargers are on top 16-8 in the second.
4:16 p.m.: After falling behind 5-1 to start the fifth game, Cache rallies for the win. The Bulldogs will face OBA Saturday at noon in the semifinals… The Heritage Hall-Lincoln Christian match, originally scheduled for 3 p.m., will start at about 4:40 p.m.
4 p.m.: Another wild one as Victory Christian rallies to force a fifth game with Cache, which has led in all four games, including an eight-point lead in the second. The Bulldogs have had opportunities to close this one out, but Victory — winners of 27 straight matches coming in — won’t go away.
3 p.m.: Fun with numbers – During the between-games break I took a minute to do some math… Corn Bible Academy has an ADM of 58.0 in the 9th-12th grades, which means more than 25 percent of the high school’s enrollment is on the volleyball team (15 players). To have an equal ratio, Broken Arrow would need 1,192 players to come out for volleyball. That would require 2,384 knee pads.
2:44 p.m.: When I made the reference to Alyssa Wilson and Clinton from last season in my opening post, I did it without having seen Cache play. But the Bulldogs’ Madison Ward fits the mold. Big jumper, hard hitter, and she’s about 6-foot-2. Only a junior, but she’s getting recruited by several major programs around the country. Cache has a 1-0 lead on Victory Christian with the second game about to start.
1:59 p.m.: OBA pulls it out with a 15-7 win in the fifth game. Thriller all the way.
1:45 p.m.: We’re heading to a fifth game in our opening match between Corn Bible and Oklahoma Bible. It’s been tight all the way. The closest game was OBA’s 25-18 win in the second, after trailing 7-2 early.
Noon: We’re under way at the Class 4A state volleyball tournament, wtih Oklahoma Bible and Corn Bible on the court in the first game of the opening match at Chickasha High School.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15391Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9463Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8117Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 7214Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6364Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 6332Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 6331Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 5818Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 5611Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5224UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients