Game preview: Lawton Eisenhower at Yukon
Lawton Eisenhower (4-1, 2-0) at Yukon (4-1, 1-1)
When: 7:30 p.m. Friday
Where: Miller Pride Stadium, Yukon
Last week: Ike rolled Choctaw, 41-14. Yukon trailed Norman North in the second half, but put the T-Wolves away, 35-17.
Why Ike could win: RB Louis Durant and QB Adrian McDonald are a dangerous duo in the backfield. One Yukon coach made the comment to me this week that Lawton Ike “runs the pistol the way it’s supposed to be run.” The defense has come up with a couple big performances as well, and Yukon might be without RB Terry Jones who injured his ankle last week.
Why Yukon could win: Whether Terry Jones plays or not, the Millers still have a stout offensive line that will give them a chance to run the ball. And QB Corben Jones, with his long list of dangerous receivers, will keep the passing game going.
Key matchup: Ike run game vs. Yukon linebackers. The biggest challenge for Yukon will be keeping up with the Eagles’ speed, so guys like Kollin Retter and Eric Granado — linebacker/safety hybrid type players — will have to utilize their speed as outside linebackers at the line of scrimmage to limit the speed option and zone read plays to prevent Ike from controlling the ball and the clock.
The pick: Yukon 27, Ike 24. There’s still a lot to be decided in District 6A-1, and every win will be valuable in this playoff race.
– Scott Wright, firstname.lastname@example.org
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 17374Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 16681Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 7769Fatal fire: Two arrested in Oklahoma City death of 7-year-old boy
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients