Moore honor: Tyler Newton, Westmoore...
By Justin Hite
Westmoore’s defense showed on Friday that it is big-time. The Jaguars held Del City to only 6 points, but forced six-straight turnovers to end the game. One of the key forces on that defense is Tyler Newton, who is the Moore Player of the Week.
Newton finished the game with 9 tackles and two recovered fumbles. The second of the two fumbles was also the first touchdown of his career. He also gets the award for being one of the leaders on the defense.
To go along with Newton, Ricky Balogun, Bo Hurst, Cody Cates and Bryan Norris all had double-digit tackles.
Others in consideration:
Andrew Long, Southmoore football: Long rushed for 140 yards and scored three touchdowns in a loss to Norman. What makes this performance standout is that the junior almost led his team to a come-from-behind win. Two of his three touchdowns came in the fourth quarter. He also had one catch for 41 yards.
Zach VanDyke, Westmoore football: VanDyke factored into Westmoore’s victory in two ways. He returned a punt for a touchdown in the first half and intercepted a Del City pass in the second half as the Jaguars took control off the game. He also had 6 tackles out of the secondary.
Noemi Hernandez, Westmoore cross country: Hernandez set a new season-low as she finished fourth at the Edmond Pre-State meet. Hernandez ran in a time of 11:54.27 as Westmoore edge Jenks to win the event by less than two seconds.
Caleb McKee, Westmoore cross country: McKee finished seventh overall at the Edmond Pre-State 5k and posted a 16:43.33. It bettered his previous season-best by nearly 10 seconds.
Moore softball: What a shock (not really). Stephanie Riley’s girls are headed back to the state tournament, and it’s a wide open field
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 13567Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 12400Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 6766Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients