The Dre Holman-Deji Karim connection
There was almost a little bit of irony in the fact that the story on Putnam City North running back Dre Holman ran last Friday, and former Putnam City North running back Deji Karim made his NFL debut on Sunday.
With a story like Holman’s, that has a lot of layers and a lot of intriguing angles, not everything that is interesting can fit in the print space available. One of my favorite parts that didn’t make the cut was Holman’s relationship with Karim.
It started one day late last winter when PC North coach Bob Wilson pulled Holman out of basketball practice and told him there was someone he wanted him to meet.
It was Karim, who took some time to tell Holman his story of how he let his grades take a backseat, forcing him to go to NEO out of high school, then to Southern Illinois, despite having major Division I talent.
Holman is a 3.5 student, so it’s not something people are worried about with him, but Karim wanted to provide some mentoring to a young kid following in his footsteps.
And it didn’t stop there. Karim came back to work out with Holman and the two — who are actually built very similarly at 5-foot-9 and about 195 pounds — have stayed in touch ever since.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 101218Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 15357OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 13402Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8724Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8110How to help tornado victims
- 8098Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8041Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 6720Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma singer packs tour bus with donations for storm victims
- 6515Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 5990Oklahoma tornadoes: Tornado leaves family members in two hospitals and one dead
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients