Scott's Lock: Buying into the Bomber magic
This pick scares me for a lot of reasons, but when it comes to my lock of the week, I like living on the edge.
I’m picking Midwest City over Lawton Eisenhower, and here’s why it scares me.
First, Ike is very talented. They’ve got a scary good skill-position trio with QB Adrian McDonald, RB Louis Durant and WR Adrian Woodard. They’ve got the speed to keep up with MWC and the home-field advantage.
Second: the drive. I never like to pick a team that has to make the Tulsa-OKC or OKC-Lawton drive. That 90 minutes on the bus takes a lot out of a 17-year-old.
And the third reason — I’m 4-4 on my Lock of the Week picks. I have no expectation of getting above a .500 record. I can’t stand prosperity.
With all that said, I think Midwest City is the most complete team on the west side of the state. Are they the best? Quite possibly, though it’s a close race between the Bombers, Lawton and Norman.
But I think the Bombers are the most complete football team of the three. They can run, they can throw, they can play great defense. Speed everywhere, good leadership and kids who know how to win (their QB and two starting wideouts were starters on the 6A basketball runner-up last season).
Steve Huff’s team has faced adversity (i.e. the 21-6 deficit they overcame against Yukon and a few other first-half deficits).
So I like the Bombers to win in a close one, which to Ike fans, means you have a coin-toss shot at the upset. So good luck.
– Scott Wright, firstname.lastname@example.org
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 22062Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 13856Tom Ward is out as SandRidge's CEO
- 11034Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 10900UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7641Will Oklahomans get on board with new water toy?
- 7472Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6309Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 5703Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 5621Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 5179Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients