Game preview: Glenpool at Douglass
Glenpool (7-1, 5-0) at Douglass (6-2, 5-0)
When: 7:30 p.m. Friday
Where: Moses Miller Stadium, Douglass
Why Glenpool could win: There’s no doubt this team is for real. Outside of a shutout loss to Cascia Hall, the Warriors haven’t been held to fewer than 34 points and they’ve scored at least 54 the last three weeks. Alton Adkins is one of the few running backs in the state who can match Douglass RB Aliston Cobb’s statistics. Cobb: 109 rushes for 1,334 yards (12.2 per carry) and 19 TDs. Adkins: 125 carries for 1,382 yards (11.1 per carry) and 17 scores.
Why Douglass could win: The run game and defense seem to be peaking right now. Last week was an impressive performance — a 47-0 win at Harrah — in a matchup against a top 10 team on the road. Defense is the big key. Linebacker play of leading tackler Jas’Sen Stoner and Erik King has been sharp. Marcus Caddell leads a talented secondary and the D-line is as stout as any in 4A.
Key matchup: Alton vs. Aliston. We already broke down the numbers, but these are two teams that count on their RBs for big plays. So the one who makes the most probably pulls out the win. Others could help out, like RB Diontay Washington or QB Shon Bridges for Douglass, or QB Connor Ferrell for Glenpool. But in big games, you need your playmakers to stand strong.
The pick: Douglass 27, Glenpool 24. This game is as much of a toss-up as you’ll see in this big a game.
– Scott Wright, email@example.com
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90799Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 6362Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 6064Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 5720Police: School near OKC directly hit by tornado
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients