Game preview: Yukon at Choctaw
Yukon (7-1, 4-1) at Choctaw (3-5, 2-3)
When: 7:30 p.m. Friday
Where: Chocatw High School
Why the Millers could win: The offense has all the weapons. Run, pass, block. They do it all. RB Derek Deeds has been good filling in for Terry Jones while he’s hurt, and QB Corben Jones continues to be consistent and efficient in the passing game. And the defense has been solid outside of a couple hiccups.
Why the ‘Jackets could win: Suddenly, the playoffs aren’t so much of a long shot. Choctaw has the size and the toughness to match up with Yukon in the trenches, particularly with Tulsa commit Hunter Davis at D-end. And Tanner Hessman is an athletic QB who can make plays. He did nto play when Choctaw faced the Millers last season.
Key matchup: Yukon run game vs. Choctaw defensive front. Whether Terry Jones is back from his ankle injury, or Derek Deeds filling in again, the Millers have been able to run the ball behind that strong offensive line. Their two-dimensional ability is what makes them so effective. If you’re going to beat them, you have to stop one, and the run game is Choctaw’s best chance.
The pick: Yukon 35, Choctaw 21. Yukon has scored 35 points in three of the last four games and four times this season. Seems like they have a knack for it.
– Scott Wright, email@example.com
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14439Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9547Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 7937Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 7761Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6962Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6428Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6287Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 5083Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5032Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 4602UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients