Three things learned in Tulsa area: Week 9...
The final week of the regular season is upon us, and I’m finally starting to figure a few things out:
1. Pick East Central in close games: The Cardinals have the best kicker in the area; Antonio Escobedo drilled a game-winner in the final minute against Coweta a few weeks ago. But Friday’s game might have been even better.
East Central eked out a 38-35 win at No. 8 Grove on a 46-yard touchdown pass on fourth-and-6 with 1:04 left. The score, from John McDavid to Damian Gibson, kept East Central perfect in the district.
The Cardinals have a lot of talent, including a D-I prospect at receiver (Dino Teague). Coaches have called East Central the school’s best team since its 2005 state championship season. To get that far, teams have to win close games – and the Cardinals have shown they can do that.
2. The road to the 3A title runs through Cascia Hall: Sorry, Heritage Hall fans, but it’s true. The Commandos’ 17-6 road win over a previously unbeaten Sperry team seals it (Boneman’s note: Chargers and Anadarko aren’t out of this race).
Cascia Hall’s streak is over after a Week 1 loss to Holland Hall. I wasn’t sure how good Joe Medina’s team would be after that.
The answer: very, very good. Quarterback Thomas Rouse was 10-of-13 passing Friday, and linebacker Conner Sherwood might be the best defensive player in the state. To hold a strong Sperry club to six points is a great achievement, and it shows that Cascia Hall’s new streak is just beginning.
3. Don’t forget about Holland Hall: The Dutch stayed perfect with a 35-14 win over Casady. Now Holland Hall faces Houston Kinkaid on Thursday in Dallas for the Southwest Preparatory Conference title.
Because the Dutch aren’t in the OSSAA, it’s easy to overlook them. You shouldn’t. Quarterback Brad Kragthorpe would be a major D-I recruit if he were two inches taller. Running back Kwame Sexton is one of the state’s top players. And the defense is also strong.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients