Scott's Lock: Better buy into Bethany
In a lot of cases, Week 10 adopts a strong playoff atmosphere because there’s so much immediately at stake.
I think that will be the case for Bethany and Newcastle this week, with the winner getting a home playoff game next week — a reward that shouldn’t be undervalued.
It’s a tough call on this game, but I’m going with Bethany. For one, I think the Broncho defense has been overlooked a little this year. Bethany has developed a repuation as a powerful offensive team, but the defense has done some impressive things — four straight shutouts earlier this season, for starters.
The Bronchos allowed 14 points to Heritage Hall and 12 to Kingfisher, the other two playoff teams in the district.
Darren Davenport is a Division I prospect on the D-line and they’ve got speed everywhere, including linebacker, which will be a key position in their hopes to stop Newcastle running back Blake Riojas. He’s a game-changer, and has shown that he can put the Racers on his back and carry them to victory if needed.
Jimmy McDade and Colby Gibson lead a Newcastle defense which has been solid outside of allowing 98 total points in two straight games to Heritage Hall and Tulsa NOAH a few weeks ago.
Of course, the Bethany offense is still pretty good, too. RB Devin Campbell and QB Ryley Claborn present a run-pass threat to keep defenses off balance, and receivers Gage Diffee and Tanner Robinson have shown the ability to make big plays.
I don’t think last week’s loss to Heritage Hall will produce a letdown this Friday, but rather make the Bronchos hungrier.
– Scott Wright, email@example.com
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14537OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9306Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6496Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6052Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5977Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5977Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 3990As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3888Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3626Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 3076Several factors come into play on whether Kevin Martin returns to Thunder
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients