OKC Players of the Week: Douglass defense
With only two teams still playing, you’d think it would be easy to pick out a player of the week for the OKC schools.
Not so fast, my friend.
Millwood’s Josh Turner had a ridiculous night last week, but so did the Douglass defense. And considering the Trojan performance came against a top-five team with a semifinal berth on the line, I had to give them the edge.
Including a special-teams play by cornerback/receiver/everything senior Marcus Caddell, the Trojans made their two biggest plays when Oologah had the ball — Caddell’s blocked field goal, which he returned for a TD, and Devante McKinney’s 85-yard interception return TD.
Those two plays turned the game, but more than anything, the key was Douglass’ ability to stop Oologah’s run game. The Mustangs love the run, and Douglass shut it down. Not one single run play went for more than six yards all night. In all, 44 carries for 60 yards.
The passing game was able to hit for a few chunk plays, but they completed just 10 of 25 throws, of course, with the big pick-six. The defense was put in some tough situations, especially in the first half when Douglass had four of their five lost fumbles, but they held up each time.
It’ll take another big game from the Trojan D next week against a stout Broken Bow team, but these guys are on a gold ball mission, so I’m sure they’ll come out sharp.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 20415Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7078Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7023OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 6616OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 5593Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4449Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4211Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 4167Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3427Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
- 3248Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients