In Focus: Class 6A...
By Robert Przybylo
Ryan Aber has been doing these for the official programs. So here ya go:
Ranking: No. 4
Coach: Randy Breeze, fourth season at Lawton
Previous state titles: 1962 (2A), 1963 (2A), 1970 (4A), 1987 (5A)
Road to 2010 semifinals: Beat Edmond Memorial 28-13, beat Broken Arrow 35-21
2009 record (playoffs): 9-3 (Beat Edmond North 34-16, lost to Tulsa Union 63-25)
Last week: Junior quarterback Brandon Bartlett, who took over as the starting quarterback when Cody Miller was lost for the season with an injury early in the year, threw for 225 yards. Lawton led 20-14 early in the fourth before a Bartlett touchdown pass to Tyrequek Zimmerman gave them a cushion. Zimmerman also scored on a 61-yard reverse later.
Player to watch: Deaquan Wojciechowski, RB. Wojciechowski has 17 touchdown and 1,504 yards rushing, including 169 in last week’s win.
Notable: First undefeated regular season since 1998, when they won 12 consecutive games before losing to Tulsa Union 35-19. … Zimmerman has nearly 600 yards receiving. … Jabral Johnson leads the Wolverines in tackles with 99. … D.J. Ward and Patrick Diaz have eight sacks each. … Cody Inger is 6 for 7 on field-goal attempts with a long of 48.
TULSA UNION REDSKINS
Ranking: No. 2
Coach: Kirk Fridrich, fourth season at Union
Previous state titles: 1963 (C), 2002 (6A), 2004 (6A), 2005 (6A), 2008 (6A), 2009 (6A)
Road to 2010 semifinals: Beat Muskogee 56-7, beat Edmond North 58-17.
2009 record (playoffs): 13-1 (Beat Claremore 27-9, beat Lawton 63-25, beat Broken Arrow 24-13, beat Jenks 52-19)
Last week: Jalen Hearron helped the Redskins put the game away early, scoring three first-quarter touchdowns as Union rolled to the semifinals. Hearron scored on runs of 2, 63 and 68 yards and finished with 204 yards on just 10 carries.
Player to watch: Kale Pearson, QB. The Redskins senior missed several games due to injury in the middle of the season but since his return, Union’s offense has been on fire. He’s thrown for more than 1,500 yards.
Notable: Scored 50 or more points in four consecutive games. … Only loss came to Jenks on Sept. 10, 33-7. … The Redskins held Edmond North to just 158 yards of total offense last week. … Hunter Atyia returned a kick 84 yards for a score in last week’s win. … Wide receiver Stephon Weaver is closing in on 1,000 receiving yards for the season and averages more than 18 per reception. … Hearron has more than 800 rushing yards.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14537OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9306Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 6496Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 6052Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
- 5977Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 5977Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3990As Boy Scouts' vote on gay members nears, faith groups weigh in
- 3888Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 3626Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 3076Several factors come into play on whether Kevin Martin returns to Thunder
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients