Edmond Memorial: Mike de la Garza happy for Bill Blankenship...
By Robert Przybylo
From being the head coach at Spiro to now being the head football coach at the University of Tulsa, it’s been a long road traveled by Bill Blankenship.
But one former colleague said Tulsa could not have chosen a better candidate.
“Holy smokes! That’s tremendous,” said Edmond Memorial athletic director Mike de la Garza upon hearing Blankenship was getting the job. “Bill understands the overall picture and can run a program. He’s a great choice.”
Blankenship was officially announced as the new head coach for the Golden Hurricane on Friday afternoon. Former coach Todd Graham resigned Monday to become the head coach at Pittsburgh. Tulsa was 10-3 this year and closed the year on a seven-game winning streak and ranked No. 24 by the Associated Press.
And it’s not like Blankenship hasn’t entered a coaching spot with high expectations before. Blankenship came to Memorial after Edmond’s state championship in 1989 and knew what the pressures were. But de la Garza said Blankenship did fine with the program.
After his stint at Edmond, Blankenship took over the Tulsa Union program and helped make it the dominant force it still is today.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 54347Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 32459Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 11466Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 8728Bounty hunters look for bail jumpers, fugitives on the streets of Oklahoma City
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients