Midwest City: Bombers prevail in OT thriller...
By Robert Przybylo
I just had a hunch that Midwest City and Del City was the game to go to Friday night. As much as it hurt to not see Santa Fe and Putnam City, trusted my gut.
But even I didn’t expect an overtime battle like we saw Friday night. If Drew Smith would have drained that 3-pointer as the clock expired, I would have finally had my first buzzer beater on video this season.
Alas, it fell short and Midwest City pulled out a 58-56 win. Heck, if T.J. Noel would have made the put back attempt at the end of regulation, I would have had my first buzzer beater.
Instead, I’ll have to be content in watching another chapter of the Mid-Del rivalry.
I did think it would be good, but I was a little concerned in the second quarter. The Bombers were pulling away slowly at 23-12, but Del City never panicked (even if I was).
Down four at halftime, the Eagles scored the first two baskets and then the teams were not separated by more than three points the rest of regulation.
Del City took its first lead of the game at 43-40 on the first basket of the fourth quarter. The Eagles actually never trailed in the fourth.
In overtime, the Bombers jumped up big as TJ Noel and Cornell Neal each had 3-point plays. It was 56-51 when Anthony Holland drained a 3-pointer.
Then we played the free throw game. Some were made, some were missed. And before you knew it, it was 58-56 with 6.6 seconds left. Smith drove down the right side of the court. Bombers did a great job of pressuring him and trapping him. Smith couldn’t pass and had to force it up. Not sure if it was online from my vantage point but knew it was short.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 79875Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16375OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12357Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 12103Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12064Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 10249Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 9002How to help tornado victims
- 8692Oklahoma tornadoes: Oklahoma tornado victims identified
- 8481Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 8426Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients