Carl Albert's Chris Wooten wins it at the buzzer, 50-48
I was content. It was a great girls comeback by Carl Albert. I was all set to talk about Cherrell Price’s big-time fourth quarter in a 42-39 win at Piedmont.
That was my story.
Until Chris Wooten. I broke one my rules of writing: never pre-write because something else will happen. And sure enough, it did on Monday night at Piedmont.
Wooten hit a jump hook in the paint as time expired to give Carl Albert a fun (my word for it) 50-48 win against the Wildcats.
“I knew we didn’t have much time, and I was just trying to make a play,” Wooten said. “It felt good when I released it.”
Just a fun night at my first time in Piedmont for basketball. Fourth quarter had two ties and six lead changes. Really, was there any other way this game was supposed to end?
Tied at 46-46, Piedmont had the ball with less than a minute left. Carl Albert stole it. Dondre Brookins missed a contested layup but Jalen Carson was there for the put back with 28.9 left.
From there, Piedmont got exactly what it wanted. In fact, it was almost too easy as Keith Vick was found on a lob that he gently put off the backboard to tie it.
Figured Carl Albert would call timeout but that didn’t happen. Jay Price let his young team just figure it out on their own. Eventually, Wooten was slashing to the paint, caught the ball and let it go. As it went on, I’m pretty sure that’s when the buzzer sounded.
Sophomore Carlbe Ervin was a monster in this one for the Titans. His three-point play tied it up 46-46 and he finished with 18 points. John Stephens had 14 for Piedmont. Brookins had the same amount for CA.
Fun stuff and that’s why I go to every game I can possibly go to. Seriously, just a regular ol’ Monday in February. And I saw that and my partner in crime Scott Wright saw Dominique Raney’s buzzer-beater to win at Mustang.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 26512Oklahoma baseball: Joe Simpson 'thrilled' that Sunny Golloway left OU
- 17561Classen School of Advanced Studies valedictorian disappears while hiking with family in Ecuador
- 8879OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
- 8492Oklahoma State football: Mike Gundy lifts Wes Lunt restrictions, but too late
- 8412UPDATE: I-40 reopened at Shields after fatal wreck
- 7989Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale
- 7605Oklahoma State football: A stunning success story at the box office
- 6228Get App-y: Google Glass to offer heads-up computing
- 5649Prosecutors say stolen car was at heart of 2011 fatal shootings in Oklahoma City
- 4993Team Blake's Danielle Bradbery wins "The Voice"; The Swon Brothers finish in third place
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients