Chickasha gets its man in Tom Cobble as football coach
Former El Reno football coach Tom Cobble was approved by the Chickasha Board of Education to become the Chicks football coach Monday night.
Cobble is replacing Rick VanCleave, who resigned at the end of last season.
Cobble is hoping to do at Chickasha what he did with El Reno and turn another program around. In Cobble’s three seasons with the Indians, he guided El Reno to two state semifinal appearances.
The board also approved the hire of Dennis Furr as the softball coach. Furr led Lawton MacArthur to back-to-back state championships in 2008 and 2009.
VanCleave resigned after the incredibly difficult season last year. The death of Kody Turner really affected VanCleave a lot though the family has never blamed VanCleave or his staff for what happened.
Getting Cobble was great but getting Furr is just as big, IMO. What can you say about Furr and what he did at Lawton MacArthur? Good hires all the way around for Chickasha.
Interesting to see where El Reno goes from here, too.
Robert Przybylo, firstname.lastname@example.org
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 402At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 378Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 347How to help tornado victims
- 247Read live updates from the May 20 Moore tornado
- 147Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 93Twitter reaction from the sports world on the Moore/OKC tornadoes
- 52Social media used to send prayers and condolences to Oklahoma in wake of deadly tornadoes
- 51Oklahoma twister tracked path of 1999 tornado
- 35High schools: Practices called off long before tornado hit Moore
- 32Expert rips Oklahoma State Bureau of Investigation's handling of murder case
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients