Putnam City wins three-overtime thriller against Choctaw
Sometimes you get a feeling. Sometimes you’re wrong about that feeling, but every now and then, you hit the nail on the head. Going into regional play Thursday, there weren’t too many circle-worthy games.
However, one that definitely was going to be good happened at Edmond Memorial between Putnam City and Choctaw. Didn’t matter that Choctaw had defeated the Pirates three times earlier in the year, knew it would be competitive.
Now I had no idea it would be that competitive, though. None. 44 minutes later and you see just how ‘styles make fights’ can apply to basketball, too.
In the end, it was Putnam City’s LaShawn Jones with an incredible performance in leading PC to a 64-56 win in triple overtime. Putnam City is going to play Memorial for the regional championship Saturday.
I don’t keep track of blocks, but I probably should have during this one. I’ve never seen a player block so many shots the way Jones did against the Yellowjackets.
All that being said, it was Choctaw who dictated the game for most of the way. After Putnam City had 13-11 lead, the Pirates never led again until the second overtime. PC would tie it but then Choctaw would take the lead again.
Finally about midway through the fourth, it was 44-37 for Choctaw. However, Jones tied it up with 8 seconds left and we went into overtime.
The first overtime, eh, well, it happened. Both teams made a free throw and we went into double OT at 45-45. Now this was when both teams were doing the necessary things to win the game.
Putnam City took its first lead at 48-47 on a 3-pointer by Jamiece Nelson. After being quiet, Nelson had the energy most players didn’t in the extra sessions. PC led 50-47 when Sydney Wyatt came off a screen and buried a three to knot it at 50-50.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients