State wrestling, session 1: Guthrie mounts charge
Like I said before, the team race really in Class 6A and 5A should be decided by teams in the east. However, Guthrie had a great first session here at the state wrestling championships at State Fair Arena.
The Bluejays sent seven to state and six are wrestling in the semifinals. Included in that is ‘my baby’ match between Landry Chappell and Deer Creek’s Alex Christensen. The 215-pound match is a must-see here in a few hours.
Speaking of the Antlers, Deer Creek and Harrah each fared well as the teams qualified four into the semifinals. Other Suburban Conference member, Carl Albert, had a rough few hours. The Titans went 2-6 in the first session though I still think Eric Waggoner has a great shot at winning it all at 135.
Shawnee and Southeast each moved along two to the semifinals, while Kenneth Hartfield is going to represent Western Heights in other local 5A news.
In 6A, good but not great session for Edmond North. The Huskies are bringing back five kids for the semifinals. Stillwater came on late and the Pioneers are sending four tonight.
Solid sessions from Moore and Yukon as Lions and Millers notched three into the semis. The Yellowjackets of Choctaw also advanced three.
And then a bunch of area teams were able to get one across: Edmond Memorial, Edmond Santa Fe, Del City, Mustang and Norman North.
Incredibly early in terms of team races, but Tulsa Union (6A), Collinsville (5A), Tuttle (4A) and Perry (3A) have the edge so far. Berryhill is right up there with the Maroons, though, in 3A. The Friday night session is going to go a long way in seeing what’s up there.
Robert Przybylo, firstname.lastname@example.org
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 10457Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 9286Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 5848Downtown wish list includes Super Target
- 4983Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 4420Oklahoma City pastor will face trial in fatal shooting of son-in law
- 4301Oklahoma tornadoes: Price family recovering after some heavy blows
- 4216How to help tornado victims
- 4195Oklahoma tornadoes: Lack of storm shelters floors newcomers to Tornado Alley
- 4147Woman's body found in Payne County; two arrested
- 4123OU softball: Sooners inspired by Casey Angle, run-rule Texas A&M
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients