Edmond Memorial's Shane Coffey named Tulsa women's assistant
Incredible. In the span of three days, two of the top four coaching spots in 6A girls basketball are now open. Norman’s Matilda Mossman is headed to Tulsa to become the head coach. And she’s taking Edmond Memorial’s Shane Coffey with her. Coffey will be an assistant.
Once you get over the shock of both leaving, it makes sense as the two have tremendous respect for each other after nine years of battles.
For nine years they’ve been rivals on the court, but they’ve always been great friends off the hardwood.
Now Matilda Mossman and Shane Coffey are going to try to build something together. Mossman was officially named the Tulsa women’s basketball coach Tuesday and has named Coffey one of her assistants.
Coffey and Mossman have battled each other at least twice a season for the last nine years with Mossman at Norman and Coffey at Edmond Memorial. The Bulldogs and Tigers are both in the Mid-State conference.
After spending three seasons as the sophomore boys coach at Memorial, Coffey took over the reins for the girls in the 2000-01 season and has brought the program back to prominence.
“He is going to be very successful as a coach at the next level,” Edmond athletic director Mike Nunley said. “He’s going to be tough to replace.”
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 17652Live blog: "The Voice" Season 4 live finale - performance episode
- 13467Oklahoma storms: Profile of Life: Megan and Case Futrell
- 11283Police shoot, kill man holding child hostage in Midwest City
- 10735'Firehouse' in Oklahoma City's Deep Deuce is set to become new home
- 10251Norman man threatens Oklahoma Gov. Fallin's 'child' and local sheriff in emails
- 10005Dillon Overton rips former Sooners coach Sunny Golloway on Twitter
- 6673Red meat might be delicious, but not as nutritious
- 6352Oklahoma football: New assistant Bill Bedenbaugh discusses state of OU's offensive line
- 6100Brad Lund granted two-year lease to Taft Stadium for soccer team
- 5666OKC Central: Architectural "Worsts"
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients