El Reno promotes Shawn Mason to head football coach
El Reno found its successor to football coach Tom Cobble without leaving town. The school promoted defensive coordinator Shawn Mason, who officially accepted the job Tuesday morning.
Mason has spent the last five seasons working as Cobble’s defensive coordinator, including the run from 2007-09 when the Indians reached the Class 5A state semifinals each year.
Cobble resigned last month to become the head coach at Chickasha. Mason said five assistant coaches remained on staff at El Reno.
Before coming to El Reno, Mason worked in west Texas and spent one season as the head coach at Guymon.
“I’m gracious for the opportunity. I’ve been blessed,” Mason said. “I have to go to work now, and finish up what Tom started here. Working for Tom was definitely a good experience for me and we had some good years together.”
– Scott Wright, firstname.lastname@example.org
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 88863Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16945OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12611Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12094Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 9737Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 9076Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 8890Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8829How to help tornado victims
- 8583Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 7041Excessive speed, alcohol, operator inattention contributed to fatal boat crash, report states
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients