Putnam North's Chris Haworth ousted in USTA event
Still waiting to hear back from Putnam North’s Chris Haworth so I can’t really comment on the third set. After winning the first set, Haworth lost the next two in losing to Nikoloz Basilashvili of the country of Georgia.
The two met in the first round of the USTA/Jackie Cooper BMW Oklahoma Open at the OKC Tennis Center on Wednesday afternoon. Score was 2-6, 7-6 (4), 6-3.
I was able to see the first two sets, but I was unable to stay for the third but heard Haworth loss. When covering the tennis state tournament, I have to wander from court to court and keep up with many different storylines and schools.
Wednesday was nice because I just stayed with Haworth the entire way. After the first serve of the match by Nikoloz, I thought Haworth was in trouble. But Haworth was able to read Nikoloz’ serve well en route to a 6-2 victory in the first set.
Up 2-1 in the first set, Haworth saved two break points to take the 3-1 lead. Trying to serve out the set, Haworth was unflappable and showed no nerves.
In the second set, Nikoloz got off to a big lead only for Haworth to battle back. Knotted at two games apiece, Nikoloz won the the fifth game that saw six deuces. Nikoloz eventually built up a 5-2 lead before Haworth mounted his charge.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 14605Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9594Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 8537Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8009Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6980Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 6486Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6299Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 5124Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 5057Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 4620UPDATE: Search continues for boy, 17, missing in Uncle John Creek in Kingfisher
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients