Edmond Memorial is the prime girls spot
We had two big shakeups in the 5A-6A girls basketball landscape with the resignations of Jennifer Burch at Bishop McGuinness and Kevin Korstjens at Edmond North.
Add those to the departure of Matilda Mossman at Norman and Shane Coffey of Edmond Memorial, and it’s a very interesting time in girls basketball. Mossman is now the head coach at Tulsa, and she took Coffey with her to be one of her assistants.
Memorial and Norman are coming down the homestretch of their coaching searches, while North and the Irish are just beginning. In my opinion, here is how I would rank the four spots.
4. Edmond North (Last year: semifinals)
Despite the fact the Huskies have reached the semifinals the last two seasons, this is going to be a whole new group of girls at North.
The Huskies’ entire starting lineup is gone. Post stars Liz Donohoe and TaNita Dewberry? Gone. Anna Kimsey, the glue of the team? Yep, graduating. Guards Ella Voss and Kayla Anderson won’t even be around. In all, North has seven seniors that are graduating. This program didn’t have a lot of tradition before Korstjens, and it will be tough to keep it up.
3. Norman (Last year: quarterfinals)
Wow, some pretty big names to follow when talking about Sherri Coale and Mossman. You can either see that as intimidating or as a chance to stamp your own name. Tiger tradition is incredible.
Good set of players coming back, such as Jordan Franks and Bethany Cox. She was just a sophomore last year, but I think Cox is going to be a star in the next two years. The Norman administration is (understandably) taking its time and is going to find the right person.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 31709Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 22246Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 7126OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6322Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 5037OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 4484Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3553Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3509Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3313Oklahoma City Thunder: The time has come for OKC's young players
- 3242Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients