Shawn Clark named McGuinness girls basketball coach
Bishop McGuinness didn’t have to look too far to find its next girls basketball coach. Athletic director Gary Savely said Wednesday that former assistant Shawn Clark will be the head coach.
Clark has been a head coach in the past. He was the head coach at St. Mary when former coach Jennifer Burch was attending St. Mary.
“Shawn brings great continuity to the program and fits right in with the school,” Savely said. “He went through the interview process just like everybody else, but we like what we have here and want to keep this good thing going.”
Clark had been Burch’s assistant the last 10 years, said Savely. Burch decided to step down after 11 years last month to spend more time with her family. She led the girls to their first state championship last season.
I like this hire from the Irish perspective. McGuinness has a lot of good pieces coming back in Kate Andrews and Elyse Hight, etc., so there won’t be that awkward transition.
They won’t have to learn a new style of play and won’t have to try to understand the demeanor of their new coach. Obviously, there will be tweaks here and there, but Clark is very familiar to the girls and the girls have always seemed (from an outsider’s view) to respond well to his instructions.
Robert Przybylo, email@example.com
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 85341Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 16721OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 12445Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 12075Clippers' Donald Sterling hints coach let go to keep Chris Paul
- 11152Oklahoma tornado: Names of dead released; missing individuals located
- 9705Oklahoma tornadoes: Red Cross text donations not designated for Oklahoma
- 9037How to help tornado victims
- 8773Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 8553Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 7603Excessive speed, alcohol, operator inattention contributed to fatal boat crash, report states
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients