Some news and numbers to throw out to you to wrap up the coverage of Santa Fe’s 1-0 win against Deer Creek. Read more in Sunday’s paper and look for a video with Blackburn on NewsOK.
* Pitchers Clayton Blackburn (11), Michael Fulmer (11) and Kyle Shaw (3) combined for 25 strikeouts out of a possible 42 outs.
* Nobody had more than one hit. Blackburn had lone RBI on sacrifice fly to score Lacy.
* The only Antler to not strike out was shortstop Brian Anderson (Arkansas signee). Anderson didn’t have one of the two hits, though. Three Wolves didn’t K (Conor Costello, Brady Newville and Zac Cobble). However, none of them figured in the only run.
* Blackburn’s no-hitter was broken up by a bunt single with two outs in the fifth by Hunter Dinkines. The single eventually led to the final out of the inning at home plate when DC tried scoring from second base on the bunt.
* Blackburn struck out seven consecutive batters at one point. Fulmer retired 10 of the last 11. Only person to reach had the courtesy runner caught stealing.
* The loss snaps Deer Creek’s 21-game winning streak and is first loss to in-state opponent.
* Santa Fe’s Lonny Cobble: “We’re as healthy as we’ve been all season today. Our arms are coming back, and we’re feeling really good.”
* Deer Creek’s Ron Moore: “Anybody who says a loss is a good thing before the playoffs – that’s a bunch of bull. You want to win every game. We let a couple of opportunities slip away. The competition level today was great and Michael threw the ball really well.”
5:54 – Kyle Shaw strikes out the side.
Edmond Santa Fe 1, Deer Creek 0 – Final
5:46 – Fulmer closes the day by retiring 10 of his last 11. The only batter to reach had the courtesy runner picked off on a caught stealing. Fulmer goes 7 IP, 5 H, 11 K. Blackburn has reached his limit, too. Kyle Shaw in to close out the show.
Edmond Santa Fe 1, Deer Creek 0 – Bot 7th
5:36 – Antlers try to play small ball again but to no avail. Blackburn gets Ross Stracke to pop out on a nice effort by Newville to retire the side.
Edmond Santa Fe 1, Deer Creek 0 – End 6th
5:30 – Fulmer picks up strikeout No. 10 and retires the side 1-2-3. He has now taken down the last eight batters. Blackburn will throw the sixth. Coach Lonny Cobble said he was going to try to limit Blackburn to 5 innings or 80 pitches. But when you’re throwing as good as Clayton is, hmm, tough to do, no?
5:24 – Ooh, a heads up play by Ty Hensley keeps it 1-0. After making a throwing error to start the inning, Hensley triggers the rundown to end the inning. Hunter Dinkines picked up the Antlers’ first hit on a bunt with Chase Stephens at second base. Instead of throwing to first, Hensley kept the ball, which enabled the Wolves to gun down Stephens at the plate (attempting to score from 2nd on the bunt). Blackburn with two more Ks to give him 10.
Edmond Santa Fe 1, Deer Creek 0 – End 5th
5:15 – We were so close to having a half inning without a strikeout. But Fulmer struck out the final batter of a 1-2-3 inning. He’s got 9 for the day.
Edmond Santa Fe 1, Deer Creek 0 – Bot 5th
5:08 – A great defensive play at short by Brady Newville, add in another strikeout and the Antlers are retired in order. Blackburn has 8 Ks through four, too.
Edmond Santa Fe 1, Deer Creek 0 – End 4th
5:02 – Fulmer works around a couple of singles, strikes out two to give the Arkansas signee eight through four frames.
Edmond Santa Fe 1, Deer Creek 0 – Bot 4th
4:52 – Wow, it’s reached a point where if the ball is hit, that’s cause for celebration. Blackburn punches out two more before Brian Anderson ends the streak at seven on a ground out. Thirteen Ks between Blackburn and Fulmer.
Edmond Santa Fe 1, Deer Creek 0 – End 3rd
4:47 – Everything you would expect from these two. Fulmer gives up a one-out single to Zac Cobble and strikes out the next two to give him six so far.
Edmond Santa Fe 1, Deer Creek – Bot 3rd
4:38 – Blackburn is on fire. The OU signee has now struck out five consecutive batters in fanning the side in the bottom of the second.
Edmond Santa Fe 1, Deer Creek 0 – End 2nd
4:32 – Fulmer brings it in this frame. Retires the side 1-2-3 and strikes out the final two batters looking. He’s got four Ks through two.
Edmond Santa Fe 1, Deer Creek 0 – Bot 2nd
4:25 – Blackburn works out of it. Two uncharacteristic errors by the Wolves, but Blackburn strikes out the final two batters to escape out of the jam. Not sure how crowd is looking on TV, but it’s packed here at John Hundley Memorial Field and the ‘blue out’ by Deer Creek is certainly adding to it.
Edmond Santa Fe 1, Deer Creek 0 – End 1st
4:12 – Edmond Santa Fe gets on the board first. Kyle Lacy jacked a triple and was brought in via sacrifice fly by Clayton Blackburn. Lacy was down 0-2 and took a tough pitch. A lot of people (yours truly included) thought it was strike three. Given new life, Lacy hit a towering drive to left-center. Michael Fulmer had two Ks.
Edmond Santa Fe 1, Deer Creek 0 – Bot 1st
3:32 – Arrived at John Hundley Memorial Field for the battle between Deer Creek and Edmond Santa Fe. Great crowd for the game still being 30 minutes away. Will post inning-by-inning updates. Can’t make it out here, game is also being televised LIVE on Cox.