Guthrie: Landry Chappell spurs defense...
By Robert Przybylo
Guthrie (11-1) vs. Tulsa Washington (11-1)
When: 7:30 p.m. Friday
Where: Stillwater HS (I’ll be there)
I’ve written a lot on sophomore quarterback Bryan Dutton. Spent an equal amount of time on his wide receiver studs Devonte McCully and Kentrell Brothers.
But if the Bluejays are going to beat Booker T. (as I’ve said they will), it’s all about the defense. And when you’re talking about the defense, it starts with Landry Chappell.
The junior linebacker has a ridiculous 161 tackles and is the anchor. Chappell also has four sacks and two interceptions.
John Clark has quietly become another key contributor. Also just a junior, Clark has 114 stops and nine sacks. Brothers leads the team with 18 sacks.
It shouldn’t shock me, but Kai Callins has developed a lot faster than I thought he would. The freshman leads the team with five interceptions, while J.T. McFadden has three.
It’s going to be a challenge going against the bevy of stars for the Hornets. If Booker T. is able to run the ball, good night for Guthrie. Nobody is able to run the ball against Rafe Watkins’ boys. It’s reached a point where 50 yards is a huge achievement.
On the flip side, Watkins believes this is the best defense his club will face. BTW hasn’t given up a point in the playoffs yet and Derrick Alexander is a stud. One more night to game time.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 15993Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 12289Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 11194OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 9941Report: OSU blocking Wes Lunt from transferring to the SEC, Big 12 and Southern Miss
- 9689Oklahoma football: Sooners get pair of commitments
- 8745Oklahoma City Thunder: Amnesty Kendrick Perkins?
- 8728Rockets guard Patrick Beverley bombarded with hateful Tweets after Thunder get eliminated
- 5527Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 5132Will a MAPS 4 initiative involve a football stadium downtown?
- 4758Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients