Kingfisher: What you need to know...
By Robert Przybylo
Kingfisher (9-3) vs. Metro Christian (10-3)
When: 1 p.m. Saturday
Where: Putnam City Stadium (I’ll be there)
Story: Tradition alive and well for Kingfisher
Who in their right mind thought this was going to be the semifinal battle? I thought Metro would be knocked out by Berryhill. I had Tuttle eliminating the Yellowjackets.
But here we are. Fourth week of the playoffs and Yellowjackets and Patriots are meeting up for the right to play for a gold ball.
Kingfisher just seemed like it wasn’t a Jeff Myers team this year. Defense was nearly as stingy. Team wasn’t nearly as consistent. The Yellowjackets were 6-3 and not coming in with any momentum.
Myers challenged the team after the Heritage Hall loss, and the squad has responded. And for the first time, quarterback Derek Patterson has stayed healthy. If anybody has deserved a healthy season, it’s Patterson. I’ve gotten to know him pretty well in the last couple of years — good to see what a leader he’s become.
The defense is coming around. And like I’ve said before, this team is proving right now it can score to win (55-21 at Perkins, 49-21 vs. Beggs) or it can grind it out in a defensive struggle (14-8 at Tuttle).
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 21771Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 7615Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 6773OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 6490OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 5293Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 4906Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 4032Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3938Oklahoma medical examiner reports cause of deaths in Grand Lake boat crash
- 3498Four burning questions - Was the Thunder's season a failure?
- 3146Soaring gasoline prices hurt Oklahoma City area retailers
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients