NewsOK.com Player of the Year candidate Brandon Swindall, Millwood
Team record: 13-1 (lost in 2A semifinals)
Stats: Where to start… How about 1,312 receiving yards and 17 TDs on just 52 catches, an average of 26.2 yards per catch. Or 17 interceptions as a cornerback, returning eight for touchdowns to set a national record, according to the NFHS.
The case: You saw the part about the national record, right?
When the ball was in the air, nobody went and got it better than Swindall. He was a big play waiting to happen on both sides of the ball.
And he has a natural instinct of knowing where to be on the field at the right time, evident by the game-saving tackle on Douglass QB Shon Bridges at the 1-yard line on the final play of the Falcons’ 36-31 win in the Soul Bowl. He had a crucial pick to help Millwood try to come back in the semifinal game against Hennessey, as well as a huge fourth-down catch in triple-coverage to keep a scoring drive alive.
Swindall wants to play receiver at the next level and he will get a chance to do it. He has offers from Tulsa and New Mexico — where he took an official visit last week.
But the fact that this kid isn’t rolling in major-college offers right now shocks me. He’s close to 6-foot-4 with long arms, good jumping ability and great hands. His body control and ball skills are hard to beat. His straight-line speed seems to be the only drawback for recruiters, but considering how skinny he is, a year in a college weight room should solve that problem.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 97533Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 13957Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis, Ed Helms drink in success of 'Hangover' series
- 9425Oklahoma tornadoes: ‘All I could do was sit there and hold her'
- 8660Oklahoma tornadoes: Rams quarterback Sam Bradford leading aid effort
- 8311OKC Thunder: Kevin Durant tours Moore, meets with residents
- 7700How to help tornado victims
- 7421Hobby Lobby argues case before federal judges
- 6598Oklahoma tornadoes: Love for Oklahoma generates big donation
- 6130Line of storms brings flash floods to Oklahoma City area
- 6065Rock, pop, country acts give talents and time to help Oklahoma tornado victims
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients