NewsOK.com Player of the Year candidate Aliston Cobb, Douglass
Aliston Cobb, Douglass
Team record: 12-2 (Class 4A state champs)
Stats: Rushed for 2,448 yards and 32 touchdowns on just 216 carries, an average of 11.3 yards per touch. Rushed for 850 yards and 10 TDs in four playoff games, finishing with the best single-season rushing performance in Douglass history — by a long shot.
The case: You want clutch? Cobb is your guy. Three 200-yard games in the playoffs, including 240 and a pair of 50-plus yard TD runs in the state title game. I hate when a guy gets on camera after a game and rattles off that goofy phrase “Big-time players make big-time plays in big-time games,” but Cobb personified it.
Everyone knew he was getting the ball in the postseason, and he kept breaking big runs. Had he not pulled his hamstring in the third quarter of the title game, it might have never made it to overtime. The Douglass offense was stagnant after he went out that night, until Donnell Ward’s trick play TD throw to Marcus Caddell in OT.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 35743Oklahoma weather: Crews work to clear storm damage in Oklahoma City as the state braces for severe weather Sunday.
- 30080Oklahoma Severe Storm Updates
- 9255Tornado levels homes in trailer park
- 7252Wild hogs continue to be a growing menace across Oklahoma
- 6705OKC Thunder GM Sam Presti won't amnesty Kendrick Perkins
- 3930Student shot dead during botched home invasion
- 3921OKC Thunder: Thunder trio praise fans before potential departures
- 3685College football: Coaches, athletes weigh in on NCAA's suspended recruiting proposals
- 3424Oklahoma State football: Todd Monken thinks Wes Lunt should've stayed in Stillwater
- 3280Brittney Griner: Kim Mulkey said keep quiet on sexuality
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients