Yukon's Derek Deeds commits to Washburn
After an enjoyable visit Friday and Saturday, Yukon safety Derek Deeds decided Washburn was the place for him.
The 5-foot-11, 185-pound senior verbally committed to the Topeka, Kan., school on Saturday.
Deeds, a second-team All-State selection by The Oklahoman, had 67 tackles and was among the best in Class 6A with seven interceptions in helping the Millers to a 7-4 season. He also had 46 receptions for 596 yards with four touchdowns and rushed for 270 yards.
Washburn coaches want to utilize him as a free safety.
“The facilities are awesome and the coaches are really cool,” Deeds said. “We definitely will have a chance to win it all.”
The Ichabods were ranked No. 11 in the final coaches’ rankings of 2011, the school’s highest final ranking since joining NCAA Division II.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 90847Oklahoma weather: Severe storm updates
- 38051Oklahoma devastated by second round of twisters
- 17374Oklahoma tornadoes: 'It took it all'
- 16681Oklahoma State football: Limiting Wes Lunt's transfer options makes Mike Gundy look bad
- 13823Oklahoma City tornado so large, may not be recognized, officials say
- 12196Several kids pulled out of Oklahoma school rubble alive
- 11468How to help tornado victims
- 10241At least 51 die in Oklahoma tornado, official says
- 7786Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb causes destruction
- 7769Fatal fire: Two arrested in Oklahoma City death of 7-year-old boy
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients