Coming Sunday: The story of Quintaz Struble, son of an Oklahoma legend
Five years ago today, an Oklahoma high school legend died.
Mandrell Dean is one of the greatest athletes in Millwood — and Oklahoma high school — history.
His 85 total touchdowns — including a stunning 28 on kick returns — had college football programs flocking to eastern Oklahoma City to recruit him.
He committed to Oklahoma in January 1993, but never signed with the Sooners because of academic issues.
After touring the country playing for semipro and arena teams, Dean returned home, became involved with the wrong people and was shot and killed while allegedly committing a home invasion.
His son, Quintaz Struble, is a senior at Heritage Hall and is on the verge of a college football career his father didn’t have.
This story was originally supposed to run two weeks ago, but we held it to gather more information and plan for a big presentation. I posted a blog about it then, but took it down when we decided to hold off on the story. I apologize for jumping the gun back then, but I think you’ll see this weekend that it was worth the wait.
Pick up a copy of The Oklahoman on Sunday to read the inspiring story of a young man with some of his father’s talent, but few of his personal burdens, and the mother who sacrificed everything to make him who he is today.
Message Sent Successfully
Be Sure to Check Out Our Top Headlines
- 13758Oklahoma tornadoes: The 'Big Dog,' the little boy and the hug that triumphs over tragedy
- 9630Finding Addyson – One family's struggle in the Moore tornado
- 9095Oklahoma tornadoes: Cost, custom keep basements scarce
- 8238Oklahoma tornadoes: Plaza Towers Elementary School teacher shoved students into bathroom as wall collapsed
- 6533Miranda Lambert, Reba McEntire, Vince Gill to join Blake Shelton at "Healing in the Heartland" Oklahoma tornado benefit
- 6005Oklahoma tornadoes: Woman meets the military officer who shared the clothes off his back
- 5369Story behind the photo: Family members describe desperate search for one another after EF5 twister
- 4740Oklahoma tornadoes: Sooners bring back some smiles to Sydney Angle's teammates
- 4592Oklahoma tornadoes: Thunder reverses the role, takes a turn at cheering on the community
- 4132Oklahoma tornadoes: 27 remain hospitalized from tornadoes
Back to share with a friend form.
Add More Recipients